Why You Should Not Give Honey to Babies

0
202
infant botulism

Parents are ever so eager to provide their kids with a variety of new foods. A lot of parents even go for honey. The sweet taste and incredible benefits of honey motivate the parents to try it on their kids. However, the food that is beneficial for adults might not be suitable for younger kids just yet. 

Research has shown that you should wait for their first birthday to introduce your kids to the sweet taste of honey. Some parents choose honey to be the first taste to their kids after birth which is dangerous in several ways. 

Here’s why you should avoid giving honey to babies:

Infant botulism is a primary risk of introducing honey to your kids. Children younger than six months are at the most risk.

Infant botulism is caused by a toxin (a poison) from Clostridium botulinum bacteria, which live in soil and dust. It is also found in carpets and floors. This bacterium can contaminate honey causing muscle weakness, a week cry, and trouble breathing.

That is why a baby under the age of 1 should never be given honey.

Infant botulism usually affects babies who are 3 weeks to 6 months old. But all babies are at risk for it until their first birthday.

Here are some of the symptoms of infant botulism:

Constipation (often the first sign that parents notice)

Weak facial muscles that make their face look “flat”

A weak cry

weak muscles in the arms, legs, and neck

breathing problems

trouble swallowing with a lot of drooling

Hence, always wait for at least 1 year before introducing your kids to honey.

Dejar una respuesta